All rules and eligibility are based on The Blues Foundation “Best Self-Produced CD” competition.
Rules for the Cincy Blues Society Best Self-Produced CD Competition.
- The CD must be released during November 1, 2018 – October 31, 2019 time frame.
- The artist must be a current member of the Cincy Blues Society. If you’re not already a member, you can sign up here.
- Compilation CDs are NOT eligible
- If no more than one CD is submitted, it many NOT be from a board member or officer
- A performer who has previously been nominated for a Blues Music Award (formerly the W.C. Handy Blues Award) shall not be eligible for this competition. A CD issued in the name of an otherwise eligible performer which also includes the contribution of a Blues Music Award nominee may be ineligible, depending on the extent of the contribution. We will consult the Blues Foundation for a final ruling on this rule.
- A CD on a record label that has been previously nominated for a Blues Music Award (formerly the W.C. Handy Blues Award) shall not be eligible for this competition
- Recordings with established or “known” producers within the industry are eligible as long as the recording is on the artist’s independent label and NOT on an established blues label.
- Singer, band or local producer may produce the actual CD as long as the performer is a singer, band or other individual entity
Judges will evalute the following points
The criteria are in order of importance
- Blues Content ( is this a Blues Music recording )
- Musical Performance (Musicianship)
- Audio Quality of the Presentation ( Production Values, Level )
- Cover Art and Design ( Professional Packaging, Ready for the rack at your favorite music outlet? )
- Credit and Liner Information. ( Informative, Professional )
To reflect the relative importance of each category in the success of a CD, the scoring in each category is weighted before final tabulations. Raw scores for Blues Content are multiplied by 4, both Musical Performance and Audio Quality of the Presentation are multiplied by 3 and Cover Art and Design is multiplied by 2 to give weighted scores in each category. The attached score sheet should demonstrate this clearly.
In the event of a tie, the winners name will be put in hat and the name pulled from the hat will be the winner.